Thursday, April 17, 2008

Cutting Loose

I’ve been writing kid craft books for years, and am now indulging my urge to craft whatever I want just for the sake of crafting. Don’t get me wrong, I love crafting and writing for kids, but a girl can only handle so many years of googly eyes before she might want to make something a little more...sophisticated. Maybe that’s not the right word. My work tends to be on the sock-monkey side of the craft spectrum, but at least I can now use sharp scissors, a glue gun and toxic chemicals if I want.

I’m concentrating on writing more novels now for the job end of being a writer, and crafting to feel accomplished at the end of the day. I like to hold something in my hand and say, “I made this today.” I sleep better at night.

But I still prefer an audience. Not because I need attention (I didn’t speak a word in school until I was forced to in the second grade, which suited me just fine), but because I want to share ideas and projects. I get excited about making a tissue flower that looks like the real thing, or a felt frog that turned out with cute overload. Nothing makes me happier than when someone takes an idea I’ve shared and goes with it to create something wonderful and original. It’s like sharing a runner’s high.

(No monkeys were actually traumatized in taking
this picture. He knew the glue gun wasn't plugged in!)

No comments: