Saturday, April 19, 2008

Polymer Clay Lollipop in Resin

Clear resin jewelry with real candy embedded in it is popular right now. In The Art of Resin Jewelry by Sherri Haab, she embeds a candy conversation heart in a heart-shaped pendant. I've seen everything from cupcake sprinkles to candy fruit slices in jewelry on etsy.com and other handmade sites.
I've always wanted to try my hand at resin, but wanted to do something different. Making tiny polymer clay sweets and other food out of polymer clay seemed to be a natural fit. Resin is complicated and there are a lot of tricks to getting it right, but I've finally got it down. (tutorial coming soon!) When I embedded the clay foods and got the backgrounds right, the pieces came out even better than I expected. Resin and polymer clay are happy together.
Here is one of my favorite pieces so far:



The lollipop is made from two colors of polymer clay and a broken piece of toothpick. For instructions, check out my article from FamilyFun magazine here. There are also instructions for several other clay sweets there.
Tip: When you are baking very small polymer clay items to embed in resin, you only need to bake them at 275 degrees for five minutes or so. They don't need to be strong; just set, and you don't want to risk overbaking which yellows the whites and dulls the other colors.

1 comment:

Fritzie said...

I am really looking forward for the tutorial with resins...